|Health promotion implies providing information and/or education to a person or a group of persons so that it leads to an overall health improvement. It also implies motivating people to adopt healthy practices so that it provides lasting benefits into adulthood.
According to the World Health Organization(WHO), Health Promotion is the process of enabling people to increase control over, and to improve their health.
Effective Health Promotion practices lead to :
- Positive parenting and a strong bonding between parent-child;
- Children staying healthy and safe;
- Healthy eating and increased physical activity which in turn leads to a reduction in obesity;
- Prevention of some serious and communicable diseases;
- Continuation of breastfeeding and increased rates of initiation;
- A willingness to go to school and improved learning;
- Early recognition of growth disorders and risk factors involved with obesity;
- Early detection and rectification of developmental delay, abnormalities and ill health.
Health Promotion at Child Development Centre, Apollo Gleneagles Hospital covers mainly the following :
- Paediatric Dentistry;
- Paediatric Opthalmology;
- Audiometry expert in dealing with children including problem (Special Needs) children;
- Structured Counseling classes for parents and young people.
Each field has a corresponding team of highly qualified professionals who are specialized in providing Paediatric support.
Counseling classes are conducted on a regular basis by specialized personnel for the following :
- Behavioural Management - Training is provided to parents for effective management of emotional and behavioural problems in children and adolescents; following this training you will see that your child is hardly misbehaving any more!
- Health Management which includes
- Atopy Explanation and Management - Training is provided to parents and family members on how to deal with recurrent ill-healths , remedies for it and its genetic influence;
- Constipation Management - Potty training and proper diet for preventing constipation are some topics on which training is provided to parents and carers ;
- Speech and Language Development Management - Training on effective management of Hearing and Speech impairment is provided to parents and family members of children suffering from such disorders;
- Eating Management - Development of healthy food habits as well as good table manners along with training on the quantity of food to be had and ways to make children develop an affinity for food are some of the many topics that are taken care of in these classes. Following these training, your child is unlikely to refuse food or give you any grief during mealtime any more!
Besides, classes are also held from time to time on Sleep Management and on Educational Difficulties (Dyslexia).
In addition trained Paediatric Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist and Speech and Language Pathologists provide the much needed support to children in dire need. Educational Assessment is also carried out by trained professionals.
The Health Promotional Programme of Care, provided by Child development Centre (CDC) at Apollo Gleneagles Hospital, Kolkata, is developed by instituting international best practice as envisioned by the World Health Organization. It is undoubtedly the least expensive and at the same time fast paced, when compared with other similar existing programs.
CDC AGH is currently researching this Program of Care. Ethical approval has already been obtained for this. UK trained Research Co-coordinator is involved in this extra-ordinary piece of research.
A number of parents have already benefitted from this Program of Care. This is extended to the following patients:
- Child Suffering from any item on Pediatric Symptom Checklist (PSC)